Thursday, January 29, 2009

Lions and Giraffs and Baboons!

A friend of both Alli's and mine arrived in Mombasa late in my stay. Quinn is a friend from Star Island and will be staying in Mombasa volunteering at a hospital for two months. Alli and I met Quinn at the airport with a make shift gin ricky at 10 am. We tried to gentally ease her into her new surroundings - but there is really no gentle way to go from Brooklyn to Kenya. Also, over e-mail, Quinn and I had planned to go on Safari with a friend of Alli's beginning on the 4th day of her stay in Kenya.
The morning before our Safari (Quinn day-3) she weakly told the house hold that she had been up all night sick and was still feeling really terrible. Alli and Flo went to work and I slowly shuffled Quinn down the road to the clinic. The nurses thought we were a pretty funny pair when all of a sudden I (the healthy white girl) ran to the bathroom to begin throwing up. Quinn and I spent the rest of the day in our shared room with the lights out, holding out tummies with "The Sound of Music" playing on my computer in case we could sit up and watch it.
With amazing recovering time we were ready to go at 6am the next morning. A little fragile - but detirrmed - we headed to Tsavo East.
The first day started slow but by the after noon we had seen a couple of herds of elephants (I spotted the first) a group of about 20 baboons and two lions way off in the distance (Quinn saw these first).
The next morning we went out before breakfast. between 6 and 8 am we saw three lions - just a few yards from our van - a huge group of giraffes on either side of the road and walking around the car, baboon parents with the babies riding sitting up on their backs. That evening when we arrived back at our lodge our guide quietly brought us to the back porch to find 10 elephants drinking from the water hole in our back yard (10 yards). There were another 10 about 100 yards away. The elephants came and went as the pleased for the next 3 hours - always with at least 2 manning the water whole. In the time we were watching the elephants a group of gazelles arrived and then a LION tried to sneak up on the gazelles - but a duck starting making noise the the gazelles ran away. This was one of the most incredible nights of my life.
The moment I arrived back at Alli's house I was sick again - somehow my body pulled it together long enough to go on this adventure. I'm better now.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

What an amazing adventure! It sounds incredible & magical- and how fortunate your body allowed you to experience it!